About Exton|Defender SRS (in two versions)
Exton|Defender SRS is a Linux system available as a Live DVD (based on Fedora 24, 64bit – version 160705 and on Mageia 5, 32bit – version 150701) for administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. Exton|Defender aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the hard disk partitions. It comes with a lot of Linux software such as system tools and basic tools (editors, Midnight Commander, network tools). Exton|Defender can, however, also be used as a normal Linux Desktop System. It requires no hard drive installation, but can easily be installed to hard drive if you want. Desktop environments: Cinnamon 3.0.6 in version 160705 (Fedora 24) and Cinnamon 2.4.5 in version 150701 (Mageia 5).
System Tools included
NTFS-3g, GParted, PartImage, Shred, Sfdisk (util-linux-ng), Rsync, Ddrescue, FSArchiver, TestDisk and Midnight Commander. Other programs (among many others): Google Chrome (in both versions) for watching Netflix movies, LibreOffice (in fc24), NetworkManager, Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimp, Samba, Java (JDK 7u9) and Java Runtime Environment (JRE), Emacs, Safecopy, kernel headers (Mageia 5 and Fedora 24) and many compilation tools. See a complete LIST of all installed packages 160705 (Fedora version) and 150701 (Mageia version).
NEWS 160705 re. Exton|Defender fc24 (Fedora 24)
I’ve made a new version of Exton|Defender 64 bit. Now based on Fedora 24, released 160621. It uses Cinnamon 3.0.6 and kernel 4.6.3. (Latest stable kernel as of 160705).
Screenshot of Exton|Defender´s Cinnamon 3.0.6 Desktop – Fedora 24 version
Screenshot of Exton|Defender´s running Yum Extender – Fedora 24 version
Great news 160627 about RaspEX Build 160426
I got the official 7″ Touchscreen Monitor for Raspberry Pi today. I started immediately to test the touchscreen running RaspEX. To my great pleasure (and surprise) the touchscreen worked perfectly out of the box! I.e. I didn’t have to install any extra packages to make it work. According to raspberrypi.org only Raspbian OS is supposed to give full functionality without a physical keyboard or mouse.
Screenshot – RaspEX running a video in Kodi Media Center
READ MORE ABOUT RaspEX with Kodi…
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 160612?
1. ExLight is now based on Ubuntu 16.04 (alias Xenial Xerus) and Debian 8.5 Jessie.
2. I have upgraded the Desktop environment Enlightenment (Beauty at your fingertips) to version 0.20.99.0 (from 0.19.12).
3. I have replaced kernel 4.2.0-16-exton with kernel 4.6.2-exlight.
4. ExLight’s ISO file is now a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExLight from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
5. Another big improvement is that ExLight can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExLight that way.
6. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended in ExLight version 160612. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
7. I have pre-installed Nvidia proprietary Graphics driver 361.45.11.
8. I have added three animated wallpapers.
What’s new in kernel 4.6?
The Desktop Environment is Enlightenment 0.20.99.0 (Beauty at your fingertips). Kernel 4.6.2-exlight is used. (Kernel.org‘s latest stable kernel 4.6.2). Program content: Libre Office, Synaptic, GParted, Wicd, PCManFM, Google Chrome (for watching Netflix movies) and Gimp. Furthermore compilation tools so that you can install programs from source. I have also included Nvidia Graphics driver 361.45.11. It has support for the following GPUs (among others): GeForce 900, GeForce 800A, GeForce 800M, GeForce 700, Quadro Series, GeForce GTX 970M and GeForce GTX 980M. Study the full ExLight program LIST. All programs have been updated to the latest available version as at June 12, 2016.
See three screenshots of the Enlightenment 0.20.99.0 Desktop – pic 1 – pic 2 – pic 3 (animated wallpaper)
I have compiled yet another Ubuntu/Debian kernel for 64 bit systems. This time kernel 4.6.0-exton, equivalent to Kernel.org’s latest stable kernel 4.6 released 160515.
What’s new in Linux kernel 4.6?