NEWS about ArchEX 181114
A new version of ArchEX is ready! In this new version, which I call ArchEX 2019, I have added the Deepin 15.8 (latest) Desktop environment. Deepin (made in China!) is devoted to providing a beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users. I came to like Deepin very much when I installed it in ExTiX 18.8. So I thought why not install Deepin also in ArchEX?
Study all installed packages in ArchEX 2019 Deepin/LXQt.
Why trust a Chinese Distribution?
NEWS 181114 about Calamares Installer
I’ve finally managed to make Calamares 3.2.2 (The universal installer framework) work without problems/issues. Calamares 3.2.2 is quite new. Released September 4, 2018. This version gives you more control over the installation process. Now you can use Calamares to install ArchEX in any language. The boot loader Grub2 (which can be installed during the installation of ArchEX) will also work without problems.
WHAT IS ArchEX?
ArchEX 64 bit is a new (181114) Linux live DVD based on Arch Linux. Arch motto is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). ArchEX uses kernel 4.18.16-1-ARCH, Deepin 15.8 and LXQt 0.13 Desktop environments. Deepin 15.8 Desktop (made in China!) is devoted to providing a beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users. About LXQt: LXQt is a lightweight Qt desktop environment. It will not get in your way. It will not hang or slow down your system. It is focused on being a classic desktop with a modern look and feel.
WHO should run Arch Linux?
My answer: The system fits the “advanced” Linux user/enthusiast, who would be willing to run an occasional command from time to time.
BENEFITS of ArchEX/Arch Linux
“Cutting Edge”-software and speed. You will for example always run the latest kernel if you upgrade ArchEX/Arch (for example) every month.
ArchEX Deepin Desktop
ArchEX Deepin full Desktop
ArchEX running Calamares – Welcome screen
ArchEX LXQt Desktop
ArchEX starting up live
ArchEX starting up from hard drive (VirtualBox)
ArchEX installing Google Chrome with Yaourt
ArchEX Installer (Calamares) running – all done
When Cinnamon is installed (pacman -S cinnamon)
When Xfce4 is installed (pacman -S xfce4)
When KDE (Plasma) is installed (pacman -S plasma-meta and pacman -S kde-applications-meta)
When Enlightenment is installed (pacman -S enlightenment
I have made a new extra version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 18.10 LXQt Live DVD. It is for non-efi computers and VirtualBox/VMware. I.e. you can use the Calamares Installer also in for example VirtualBox and VMware. Which means that you can install ExTiX in any language.
ExTiX 18.10 LXQt DVD 64 bit is based on Debian and upcoming Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish (to be released 181018). The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed LXQt 0.13.0. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment. NOTE: This ExTiX LXQt Build is for installation to non UEFI-enabled computers and VirtualBox/VMware.
The system language is ENGLISH.
My special kernel 4.18.12-exton corresponding Kernel.org’s latest stable kernel 4.18.12. You can download “my” kernel if you want to use it another Ubuntu/Debian system.
What’s new in kernel 4.18?
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 181006?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 4 (Load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 181006.
4. You can install that you can install Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver (without problems) if you like.
5. You can install ExTiX to hard drive using Calamares Installer on older non-efi computers (and VirtualBox/VMware). Which means that you can install ExTiX in your preferred language.
6. While running ExTiX LXQt 18.10 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. A ten year child can do it!
THE IMPORTANCE of ExTiX LXQt now being based on Ubuntu 18.10 (UNSTABLE/DEVELOPMENT)
I don’t think it is too important since ExTiX LXQt doesn’t use complicated Desktop Environments like KDE, Gnome or Unity. Programs won’t crash or anything like that. And I haven’t discovered any bugs to report.
Screenshot of ExTiX 18.10 root Desktop – LXQt 0.13.0
Screenshot of ExTiX 18.10 live Desktop – LXQt 0.13.0
Calamares running in VMware in ExTiX 18.10
Refracta tools running while logged in as user live
Connections to Windows computers via PCManFM-qt using Samba
ExTiX running in VMware
ExTiX running in VirtualBox
Read about my Android-x86 Systems – Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow, Lollipop and KitKat at
andex.exton.net – latest is AndEX Oreo 8.1!
about my Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow and Lollipop versions for Raspberry Pi 3/2 at
raspex.exton.se – latest is RaspAnd Oreo 8.1!