I have released a new version (14.1) of ExTiX today (140423). ExTiX is now based on Debian Jessie and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (alias Trusty Tahr), released 20140417. I have upgraded all packages to the latest version as of 140423.
NEWS about ExTiX 14.1 build 140423
1. The ExTiX ISO is now a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems. Read my INSTRUCTION how to use the scripts.
2. Another big improvement is that ExTiX 14.1 can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way.
3. ExTiX is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 140423.
4. It is now possible to install Nvidia’s proprietary drivers in ExTiX if you want or need it. Please read this instruction.
5. I’ve also installed version 2.1.1 of Vlc from source to make it possible to run Vlc when logged in as root.
6. I’ve replaced kernel 3.13.0-17-exton with kernel 3.13.0-24-exton (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 3.13.9).
7. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended in ExTiX version 140423. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.