I have compiled a very useful (as I think) 64 bit kernel for Slackware 12.0 – 14.1 and/or all Slackware derivatives. For example Slax, Zenwalk, SlackEX and Exton|Defender. The kernel is compiled exactly the same way as Slackware’s latest kernel huge. “My” kernel 3.12.1-exton has even more support for new hardware, etc. Kernel 3.12.1 is the latest stable kernel available from Kernel.org. Released yesterday (20131120).
If you want to install my kernel in your Slackware 64bit system, do this:
1. Download linux-kernel-3.12.1-x86_64-exton.zip – md5sum
2. Unpack it with unzip linux-kernel-3.12.1-x86_64-exton.zip
3. Install it with the command installpkg linux-kernel-3.12.1-x86_64-exton.txz
(The kernel is packed just like Slackware’s original kernels so that everything ends up in the right place)
3. If necessary, change your Grub Legacy/Grub2 configuration
4. If you have an Nvidia graphics card in your computer, you may need to look over your files in /etc/modprobe.d before restarting the computer. That is remove the “blacklisting” of Nouveau’s kernel module in the appropriate files blacklist.conf and nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf. With “my” kernel functions the Nouveau “free” driver works just fine.
Restart your computer and enjoy!