NEWS 191128 ABOUT Exton|OS with Budgie Desktop 10.5 and Refracta Snapshot
The Desktop Environment in this Exton|OS build is Budgie 10.5. (Budgie is focused on simplicity an elegance. Designed with the modern user in mind). Program content in build 191128: Refracta Snapshot, Calamares 3.2.14, Firefox, Gimp, SMPlayer, SMTube, and GParted. Also all necessary additions in order to install programs from source. Calamares is an installer framework. By design it is very customizable, in order to satisfy a wide variety of needs and use cases. Kernel 5.4.0-exton (corresponding Kernel.org‘s latest kernel 5.4) is used. Kernel 5.4 was released 191125. You can download “my” kernel and install it in newer Ubuntu/Debian systems (if you want). All packages have been updated to the latest available version as at November 28, 2019. Study the full NEW PACKAGE list. Google Chrome has been removed since it’s now possible to use Netflix in Firefox. Using Refracta Snapshot you can change everything to your liking and create your own live installable Ubuntu system. I mean create your own installable Ubuntu 19.10 Live DVD once you have installed Exton|OS to hard drive.
MOST IMPORTANT CHANGES IN BUILD 191128
1. This Exton|OS version is for efi computers. You can nevertheless use the Calamares Installer in VirtualBox/VMware and thus install Exton|OS in any language. You can even use Calamares for installation to a USB stick and that way get persistence. Please read my instruction before you perform such an installation. Calamares Installer replaces Ubiquity (Ubuntu’s installer). Calamares Installer is also very simple to use. No “expert knowledge” is needed.
2. A brand new kernel – 5.4 – is used. With Windows exFAT file system support.
3. The very nice icon theme Papirus is installed and used.
I haven’t changed the wallpapers since it’s hard to find nicer ones.
About DebEX Barebone Budgie/Enlightenment, DebEX Gnome and DebEX KDE Plasma Linux 64 bit All three systems/distributions are a based on DebianBuster (10) and Debian Bullseye/Sid (upcoming Debian 11).Budgie Desktop 10.5 and Enlightenment 0.23.1 are used as Desktop environments in DebEX Barebone/Budgie/Enlightenment. Gnome 3.30 is used in DebEX Gnome. KDE Plasma Desktop 5:14 is used in DebEX KDE. The system language is English (in all three versions of DebEX).
Most important Changes
I’ve added Enlightenment 0.23.1 as an extra Desktop environment. That makes this version of DebEX unique, since there is no other live distro with Enlightenment 0.23.1 installed. Version 0.23.1 (released 190926) is not yet included in Debian’s repositories. I’ve thus installed Enlightenment 0.23.1 from source. The ISO is of only 1310 MB, which makes it easy to run the system live from RAM. That ability allows DebEX Budgie/Enlightenment to be very fast, since reading and writing data from/to RAM is much faster than on a hard disk drive. You can use the Calamares 3.2.4-3 Installer Framework to install DebEX Budgie/Enlightenment to your computer in any language. You can even use Calamares in VirtualBox and VMware – i.e. non-efi computers. Watch this animated GIF. NOTE also: When starting up DebEX Budgie/Enlightenment and entering the Enlightenment 0.23.1 Desktop you will get an error message as this screenshot shows. The error is fixed by running the following commands: chmod 777 .cache/efreet and sudo chmod 777 /root/.cache/efreet. After installing DebEX to hard drive you won’t get any error messages.
NEWS 191120 ABOUT ExLight I’ve made a new version of ExLight with the Enlightenment0.22.4-2 Desktop environment and Calamares 3.2.4-3 Installer Framework .
New sources 191120
This new version of ExLight is based on Debian stable 10 Buster. Build 191120 is a total rebuild of ExLight. The ISO file size is of only 1010 MB, which means that ExLight now can run even faster from RAM. I.e. load to RAM – screenshot.
RaspEX Kodi performance
RaspEX Kodi is a very fast and responsive Rpi system. Much due to very low memory (RAM) usage. About 120 MB as this screenshot shows. I’ve said that RaspEX LXDE Build 190807 is very fast. RaspEX Kodi is even faster especially if you use the new Raspberry Pi 4 to run it. The video and sound quality is also very very good. Even while running RaspEX Kodi on big TV screens. I.e. you can really enjoy Netflix and YouTube running on your Rpi mini computer!
About Linux For All (LFA) Build 191111
The system is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS and Debian. It’s a total rebuild. I.e. nothing is left of the old LFA system.
Why Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS?
Ubuntu 18.04 is supported until April 2023. Ubuntu 19.10 is supported until July 2020 only. NEWS ABOUT LFA Build 191111
1. This is a very BIG system (2120MB). All packages the ordinary Linux user can wish for are pre-installed. Study the full packages list.
2. Kernel 5.4.0-rc6-exton is used.
3. I have installed Nvidia’s latest proprietary graphics driver 440.31.
4. The Desktop environment is LXDE – Designed to be user friendly and slim, while keeping the resource usage low.
5. The main Web Browser is Google Chrome. So you can watch Netflix! Another advantage with Google Chrome is that you will get all your bookmarks if you log in with your Gmail account.
6. I have included Refracta tools (Refracta Snapshot) to make it possible for you to create your own installable Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Live DVD once you have installed LFA to hard drive. This is done in the easiest possible way! 7. Use TeamViewer (pre-installed) to control your Windows computers from LFA. Or control LFA from your Windows computers.
NEWS 191102 about Raspberry Pi Debian 10 Pixel – 32bit – an Exton Build My previous Debian Pixel Build from is from 190705 . Study all included packages in Build 191102- latest by 191102. I’ve added NetworkManager and also Wicd, which makes it easier to configure wireless connections. Choose the one which works for you.
Reason for a new Raspberry Pi Debian 10 Pixel build right now Yesterday (191101) two members on this site wrote to me saying that Refracta Installer didn’t work for them. I checked it and they were right. The Refracta Installer had to be upgraded from version 9.3.3 to version 9.5.3. While I was at it I also upgraded Refracta Snapshot to the latest version – 10.2.9.
Most important changes in Build 191102
This build replaces version 161223 , 170425, 180316, 180928 and 190705 . I’ve upgraded Raspbian/Debian from Stretch to Buster – Debian 10 stable. I’ve also upgraded the kernel from 4.19.0-5-686-pae to 4.19.0-6-686-pae. I’ve also included kernel 4.19.0-6-686, which shall be used on older computers. PAE (Physical Address Extension) increases the physical memory addressable by the system from 4 GB to 64 GB. Firefox have been installed so you’ll have a browser when logged in as root. You can’t run Chromium as root. Another good thing about Firefox is that you can use it to watch Netflix movies.